What is an educational trail?
An educational trail is a path that offers visitors a unique perspective on local natural beauty, history, and culture.
Along the way, you can encounter various information boards that acquaint you with important facts and curiosities about the place.
Educational trails can vary in length and difficulty. Some are designed for walkers, others for cyclists or strollers.
Traditional ways of interacting with visitors
Traditional methods of conveying information primarily include fixed information boards, signs, and brochures.
These resources provide basic information and are often supplemented with illustrations and maps.
World's most famous trails
Around the world, we can find many educational trails that offer visitors unforgettable experiences.
- Appalachian Trail, USA: One of the world's longest hiking trails, stretching over 3,500 km from Georgia to Maine. It offers stunning views of the Appalachian Mountains and is home to many species of flora and fauna.
- Inca Trail, Peru: A historical trail leading to the famous Machu Picchu. Along the way, you can admire beautiful mountain scenery and ancient Inca ruins.
- Camino de Santiago Trail, Spain: A long pilgrimage route leading to the Cathedral of St. James in Santiago de Compostela. Thousands of pilgrims complete it annually for spiritual cleansing.
- Great Ocean Walk, Australia: This trail runs along the beautiful coast of Victoria and offers breathtaking views of the Twelve Apostles and the wild ocean.
- Cinque Terre Trail, Italy: A series of hiking routes connecting five picturesque villages on the Italian coast. It offers beautiful views of the Mediterranean Sea and terraced vineyards.
- Jeju Olle Trail, South Korea: A series of trails around Jeju Island, offering beautiful views of volcanic landscapes and beautiful beaches.
Most famous educational trails in the Czech Republic
- Adršpach-Teplice Rocks Educational Trail: This trail leads visitors through an impressive rock city with bizarre rock formations, ponds, and waterfalls.
- Czech Paradise Educational Trail: An area known for its sandstone rocks, castle ruins, and beautiful landscape views.
- Šumava Educational Trail: Runs through the heart of the Šumava National Park, where you can admire peat bogs, forests, and mountain lakes.
- Palava Educational Trail: An area with limestone hills, vineyards, and historical landmarks like Děvičky Castle.
- White Carpathians Educational Trail: The trail runs through a protected landscape area with rich flora and fauna and traditional Wallachian villages.
- Krkonoše Educational Trail: Takes visitors through the highest mountains of the Czech Republic with beautiful views, waterfalls, and alpine flora.
- Podyjí Educational Trail: This trail runs through the Dyje River valley with beautiful views of river meanders and preserved natural ecosystems.
GPS-based guide apps
With the advancement of technology comes new ways to make information accessible to visitors. GPS-based apps offer an interactive guide that takes visitors through the site and provides them with detailed information in real-time.
In addition to traditional GPS-based guides, game guides are also emerging. These games combine the educational aspect with a gaming element, motivating visitors to further explore and learn.
App suitable for educational trails
For shorter educational trails, the TerraHunt gaming platform is a very interesting option. With it, you can create 3 different types of treasure games that will guide visitors along the trail.
Content-wise, you can use texts, images, and videos, and in places with poor mobile signal, offline play is possible.