How to get maps for my GPS Garmin device
You could download (stolen!) commercial Garmin maps for older Garmin devices (for example Garmin Dakota), but it is not easy to use them in the Garmin devices such as the Garmin 64 series and newer.
I work with the Garmin 64s device. I bought some commercial GPS maps but mostly I work with free map alternatives. This post deals with my favorite GPS map websites.
Commercial GPS maps for Garmin devices
- Original Garmin maps site - you can find and buy a lot of original maps. Unfortunately a lot of interesting locations are not included.
- Alpenverein GPS maps - great maps of the Alps region.
- Himalayas commercial maps site - commercial GPS maps of Himalayas (India inlcuding Sikkim, Nepal, Pakistan, Tibet, Bhutan, Sri Lanka. The licence is valid for two GPS devices.
Free GPS maps for Garmin devices
- Open Street Map -garmin3.bbbike.org. If there is no other alternative, you can use these. But coverage of some locations is very poor. There are a lot of "blank places". They are without contour lines.
- Open MTB Map - openmtbmap.org. Great maps for your device. Whole world with the contour lines. Some maps are for free, for better version you need pay membership price. 20 EUR for year is a good price. I paid it.
- Open Fiets Map - www.openfietsmap.nl. Fantastic maps of Europe and the best map of Iceland (better then original). Contour lines included.
- Open Topo Map - garmin.opentopomap.org. Great website full of mostly European GPS maps. Contour lines included